image to the left is of mine sweeper and ex trawler Loughton Wyke
(1918-1942). This is what the Caroline probably looked like.
was a Dutch built fishing trawler and was one of 33 Dutch
trawlers requisitioned by the British
government in world war II. She had been converted to a
minesweeper and fitted with a 76mm gun.
initially has machine guns and us upgraded later.
She was sunk by a
mine on 28th April 1941 whilst sweeping for mine in
the entrance to Milford Haven harbour. All fifteen members of
her crew were killed. All fifteen bodies were recovered and are
buried in the local cemetary.
caused the vessel to break into two sections. She originally
sank in position 057 deg 14.45 cables from St Ann’s Head. In 1955
the wreck was removed in two sections. The detached bow of
approx 35 ft long and weighing 60 tons was deposited close
alongside the Dakotian. The stern section approx 90 ft long 23
ft wide and 13 ft draught was placed in position 65 deg distance
10.1 cables from St Ann’s Head lighthouse.
Fishing Trawler / Minesweeper
Vissch Maats ver Seenkolenhadel
in 1930 by:
Mees N. V., Rotterdam
Triple expansion, one boiler, and single screw.
was fitted with a 76mm gun. Unfortunately the gun had been
removed before I could identify it although we had removed a few
parts from the wreck in 1976. The adjustment wheels had “Recht”
and Links” on them confusing us into thinking it was a wreck of
a German ship. The gun was probably a 76 mm Bofors sourced in
Holland hence the Dutch wordings on the controls.
The following is an image of what
the gun possibly looked like and some of the items removed from
We know it was a 76mm gun as
its shell cases were recovered from the wreck in 1976
Other items recovered include a porthole and
all items were reported to the receiver of wrecks.
1901-1944, when the Caroline was built, Bonn & Mees were taken
over by Pieter Leenheer
Mr. M. Mees
had been able to interest several ship brokers in de Nieuwe
Bergingsmaatschappij. Grandfather Jan Leenheer already held a
power of attorney at Bonn and Mees. His son Pieter was therefore
allowed to study shipbuilding at university.
However, in 1916 this
company was dissolved and sold to N.V. Maatschappij Drijvende
bokken, formerly Bonn and Mees, managed by Mr. J. Mees and
Pieter Leenheer. In 1930 Mr. Mees withdrew from the wharf and
sold the sheerlegs to P. Leenheer (who had a starting capital of
NLG 8,000.00). Activities at the wharf at Scheepsbouwerstraat
were scaled down and it was eventually shut down in 1936. This
was partly because in 1937 it would have had to make way for the
Maas Tunnel and Mr. Mees saw no benefit to be gained from moving
the wharf for the umpteenth time in one century. The business
moved to Sluisjesdijk, where it is still located today.
The wrecks position
indicate various positions for the wreck but it sank in one
position in two parts and both parts were moved to different
positions in 1955 in order to clear the channel entrance to
Milford Haven. The following chart shows the position of the
initial sinking and where the two sections of the wreck are
Today she lies upright in 15m of water.
Entry from her last log